Sunday, June 13, 2010

Aspirations

Sometimes an old song that I remember from younger days pops into my mind and lodges there for hours at a time. I find myself mentally humming the tune, or singing it if I happen to remember the lyrics. Some old Beach Boys hits from the mid-sixties are common on the Top 40 charts of my brain, but the other day I found myself humming a song called "High Hopes." The refrain goes something like, "He's got high hopes, he's got high hopes, he's got high apple-pie-in-the-sky hopes."

I was reminded of that song this morning when I visited one of the popular Texas A&M fan forums and read a few comments. One discussion thread concerned the impact of a potential move to the SEC on TAMU's national championship goals. I'm not sure how connected to reality the commenters are in their real-world lives at the office, but their grip on reality in terms of football speculation seems tenuous at best. The Aggies may win a national championship again someday, but there are few things they'll need to work on first, like qualifying for and winning bowl games on a regular basis.

Guys, dreams and aspirations are great, but try not to get carried away. Personally, I'm trying to walk a thin line between pessimism and realism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE OLD WAY

THE OLD WAY

IN CASE YOU'RE INTERESTED

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

FILE CABINET