Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Dilemma

Froma Harrop's column from the Houston Chronicle. Her topic is Democratic Party panic over their prospects in this fall's midterm election. The comments posted by the usual gang of inbred rightwingers are the best part.

The Dems turned their first year behind the wheel into a tragicomedy, bungling things so badly I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It's tempting to hope they lose control of Congress just because it would serve them right.

Most of the years I've paid attention to politics, Republicans have been the dominant party, so I've had plenty of experience watching them and judging what they have to offer. My first vote in a presidential election was for Richard Nixon in 1968, and I've always regretted it. During Watergate, I believed I was seeing Republicans at their worst, but I misjudged their ability to outdo themselves.

Republicans are convinced that voters ran them out of town on rails because they weren't conservative enough, and they've spent 2009 transforming themselves into a freak show. Somehow, the GOP never changes for the better; they always find ways to go from bad to worse. Any satisfaction derived from seeing Democrats get what's coming to them wouldn't last long once teabaggers started making the rules.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE OLD WAY

THE OLD WAY

IN CASE YOU'RE INTERESTED

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

FILE CABINET