Sunday, March 15, 2009

The gnashing of teeth...

Things I learned from reading blogs today: Chuck Norris and Pat Boone, the conservative idea of red-hot showbiz stars, are both too far gone to matter. Okay, I didn't learn that today, I already knew it. I'm trying to come up with a list of conservative showbiz personalities whose work I appreciate, and so far the list is: Robert Duvall.

There are probably a few others: Clint Eastwood and Gary Sinise are supposedly Republicans, but not so conservative that you notice it. Jon Voight would've been on the list, but I don't think he was a conservative when he was still doing admirable work. He's a rightwinger now, but has been reduced to cranking out shit like Anaconda these days.

Since 1982, the polling location for my precinct has been roughly one mile from my house. On election day, I've been able to drive over, get in line, show my voter registration card, sign the roster and proceed to vote. Usually a simple process. Now it looks like it's going to be complicated by the mandatory presentation of photo IDs. On real busy days, this will probably cause the lines to get longer and move more slowly, and some people will probably get sent home because they lack the proper form of identification. It won't hurt me since I'm retired and don't have many other pressing duties, but people who try to get voting done on their way to work may not see it that way. All those headaches because Republicans still hold majorities in the state legislature and don't have anything better to do than stir up trouble over insignificant bullshit.

The only good part is that in Texas, most voters are Republicans, so much of the hassle of long, slow-moving lines will fall on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE OLD WAY

THE OLD WAY

IN CASE YOU'RE INTERESTED

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

FILE CABINET