Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thursday's scary thought

The theme I'll be pursuing, boiled down to one sentence: It took eight years of President George W. Bush to make President Barack Obama possible.

I got an email from my bro in Houston tossing out something to consider: Ted Stevens wins the Alaska Senate seat, but as a convicted felon is cast out by the Senate, leaving a vacancy to be filled by appointment. As governor, Trig's mom appoints herself to fill the seat. In 2012, with experience at both the gubernatorial and senatorial levels, she emerges as a formidable candidate for the GOP nomination. A big gulp.

On the blogs I follow routinely, the topic of Trig's mom is already being hotly debated in terms of her role in Ace's epic fail and her future as leader of the party.

As I replied to my bro, I heard something on one of the political talk shows that is worth considering. Since the Nixon years, candidates for vice president on losing tickets have never come back to win the presidency. They usually can't even capture their party's nomination - the two who did (Bob Dole-loser 1976 and Walter Mondale-loser 1980) were soundly defeated in 1984 and 1996. Dan Quayle, Joe Lieberman, and John Edwards couldn't make it out of the primaries. Ferraro, Bentsen and Kemp never ran again.

So history would appear to be working against the possibility of President Sweet Pea. But history was also working against President Barack Hussein Obama, and look where we are today. For that reason alone, Trig's mom will hold my attention for the next four years. I still believe that any appeal Pea had beyond the looniest of the conservative evangelunicals was based on raw T&A appeal. How much of her horny bubba support she can sustain with four more hard years on her remains to be seen.

ADDED 12:44 pm:

According to an article in USA Today, Obama won in North Carolina. I noticed that Bob Barr got 25,421 votes that would've handed the state to Speedbump if he'd received them. What if the election had come down to North Carolina and Obama won the EC because Bob Barr stole enough votes from McCain to cost him the state ? That's the kind of hypothetical I've lived with since November 2000. The petty, vindictive side of me would love to see Limbaugh and Hannity forced to swallow that turd for four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE OLD WAY

THE OLD WAY

IN CASE YOU'RE INTERESTED

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

FILE CABINET