Friday, August 29, 2008

Pale and Palin (expanded edition)

I had to do yardwork this morning then hit the big discount sale at Half Price Books, so I'm way behind schedule on my usual Friday morning news check. When I finally got online, the first news that hit my eye was Ace's VP selection. Where the hell did that come from ?

I have to admit, I don't know much about Sarah Palin. Heard her name a few times after the 2006 midterm elections, when some Repubs discussed her as a future star in their party. Her ascent's even faster than Obama's, and should put an end to all that flapdoodle about the importance of experience.

The only VP Ace could've picked that I'd like was Colin Powell, who was never in the running to begin with. He captured my interest by floating the names of Ridge and Lieberman as possibilities, but the Limbaugh wing of the party quickly slapped those independent notions out of his silly mind. Ace, once the maverick, has devolved into a real candyass when it comes to bucking the GOP. After the big slapdown, I knew it was simply a matter of whether he'd pick bad, worse, or worst. For me, bad would be Rudy Giuliani and worst would've been either Hucklebuck or Willard. Worse would be somewhere between those extremes, which is where I imagine I'll find Sarah Palin after I have a chance to see what her scorecard looks like.

On the positive side, Ace was likely to win Alaska anyway, so Palin doesn't affect the EC math the way Willard or Pawlenty would have. Based strictly on the fact the Palin choice wasn't on many radar screens, my gut reaction is that Ace figured out there aren't enough Republican votes to get him elected dogcatcher, so he's coldsweat desperate to capture the PUMA voters, especially older women who, like my mom, are afraid of all black folks other than Oprah.

Added 3:06 pm:

A cursory blog check indicates two things: Palin's main qualification is that she's extreme hardline on the abortion issue, and as a female, she'll probably force Biden to go easy on her in the VP debate. Hmmm. This will also require a modest change in my TV-viewing plans for next week: I'll have to spend about an hour watching her speech at the RNC. Other than Palin, nothing else happening there will remotely interest me.

More Sarah, added 5:14 pm:

I'm still trying to get a handle on pale and Palin, and I think Taylor Marsh comes closest to my thoughts. I've believed for years that the Republican Party depends on voter stupidity for its survival, and this selection may be an ultimate proof of the position. Hillary Clinton got 18 million votes and almost won the Dem nomination. Hillary Clinton is a woman. Sarah Palin is a woman. Ergo, Sarah Palin is worth 18 million votes. Logic, Republican-style.

I haven't verified it yet, but several conservative blogs have described Palin as a creationist. Hmmm. That kind of enlightened thought was what bothered me about Hucklebuck. Maybe we're not out of the woods yet. People who think we need a Taliban-style theocracy in America seem to be ecstatic about the beauty queen, which also tells me something I need to know. Well, the research continues... Sarah's precious executive experience includes a spell as the mayor of Wasilla, Alaska. One blog I linked to, called Mudflats, had a color photograph of downtown Wasilla. It resembles the set of one of those TV western series I watched as a kid, with cars and pickup trucks instead of horses and carriages. Urban in the sense that Calvert, Texas is urban.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE OLD WAY

THE OLD WAY

IN CASE YOU'RE INTERESTED

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

FILE CABINET