Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hopes, fears, epic fail

This repulsive lardass is the topic of much blog commentary this Sunday morning. For some reason, he's paid millions of dollars every year to sit on his fat butt and render opinions on political issues. It's one of those things I can't explain or understand, but that's how it is. So because he has millions and millions of dollars, Fatso has the freedom to say anything that's on his mind -- unlike those of us who feel an obligation to temper our remarks. He's said some outrageous things over the years, and his most recent newsworthy opinion was that he hoped President Obama would fail. Fatso had the freedom to put into words what all the other Republicans were thinking.

While the nation was struggling through eight years of the Bush presidency, I was sure that practically everything W did would fail. I couldn't imagine anyone with his obvious limitations succeeding at any grand undertaking; his life story was made up of one error, bad decision, or fuckup after another. Since I expected W to fail, I didn't need to hope he would. There were even times I hoped he'd succeed when deep down inside I was sure he wouldn't. For example, I hoped the war in Iraq would be the stroll in the park that W and Cheney promised although I knew it wouldn't. I didn't hope W would fail; I merely predicted he would.

Lardass and his conservative followers apparently hope Obama will fail because they aren't certain that he will. If he succeeds, it's pretty much the end of the conservative movement as we've known it since the 1980 presidential election. There'll still be a shitload of conservatives, but they won't be a dominant force in American politics. Conservatism will eventually make a comeback; the pendulum always continues to swing. But it might take years, and Republicans who are already in their 50s and 60s don't have that much time to spare.

I personally have serious doubts that Obama's presidency will be a success, because I believe the wreckage W left behind is overwhelming. I hope he'll succeed, but I'm afraid he won't. That's the exact converse of the Republican position -- they're afraid he will succeed, but hope he won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE OLD WAY

THE OLD WAY

IN CASE YOU'RE INTERESTED

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

FILE CABINET