Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Now departing... Robert Novak

When I was younger, I enjoyed watching political talk shows on the cable news channels, plus The McLaughlin Group on PBS. I rarely missed Crossfire on CNN back in those days, when Robert Novak was the spokesman for the conservative viewpoint. For some reason, Novak never irritated me as much as the assholes on AM radio and at Fox News Channel did, at least during his Crossfire days. I was surprised to discover that, unlike most Republicans, he never seemed to be an enthusiastic supporter of the invasion of Iraq. His columns were regularly carried in the local paper, and I read almost all of them. Unlike Krauthammer, Novak wrote in a manner that made me want to read what he had to say, and he was enough of a D.C. insider that his reporting was usually accurate.

I suppose, in retrospect, Novak was more like William F. Buckley than Glenn Beck. Brain cancer finally got him at 78.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE OLD WAY

THE OLD WAY

IN CASE YOU'RE INTERESTED

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

FILE CABINET